eady to sell your home and want it to have a great first impression on the market? Avoid these 5 most common mistakes.
- Overpricing. This is first on the list for good reason, as it’s the number one reason a home won’t sell. Your home may not even be seen by potential buyers because they’re too worried about searching strictly within their budget.
- Showing availability. Viewing properties on the internet is great for buyers, but even in this day and age, it’s extremely rare that a buyer would purchase a home online. Buyers need to get in to see and experience your home in person!
- Cluttered space. Unless your home is being marketed solely as a building lot or land value, clear away all the clutter you can find. You'll need to pack up before you move anyhow, so try killing two birds with one stone and do it before going on the market.
- Odors. Smoke, pets, old carpets… these are all things that can cause smells that will turn a buyer away. Just as noteworthy is overly nice smells; if you lay on the air freshener or burn tons of scented candles, buyers may think you have a trigger smell to hide, such as mold or rodent issues.
- Unwilling to make repairs. Selling your home as-is may sound appealing at first, but being unwilling to make repairs might make your home unaffordable to buyers. Many buyers are putting everything they have into the down payment - adding in extras like replacing an old hot water tank that’s on its last legs might just be too much upfront money for the buyer to muster.
Avoid these common mistakes and soon the buyer of your home will be well on their way to being the happy new owner!